PYPO Prelude band
The PYPO Prelude Band was established in 2009. Musicians will learn about the basics of ensemble playing and will develop skills including:
• counting rhythms accurately in order to play together more effectively,
• listening and tuning an instrument in relation to the rest of the group,
• playing melodies more effectively,
• playing accompaniment parts more effectively which will include how to listen and respond to other musicians while performing their own musical part within the ensemble, and
• developing good breathing practices which will enhance producing a better, more relaxed and easy sound, on their instrument.
The program’s Prelude Percussion Ensemble debuted in the 2015-2016 season. Students work alongside the Prelude Strings and Band as well as play with the PYPO Prelude Orchestra, when Prelude Strings and Band combine into full orchestra.
The PYPO Prelude Ensembles allow those musicians whose skills are still maturing to gain experience on their instrument and to eventually progress to the advanced Philharmonic Orchestra. PYPO Prelude Ensembles present 3-4 major performances per season with additional performance opportunities by chamber ensembles which are by invitation only. A week-long Summer Instrument Camp (grades 4-8) is also available for an additional fee.
Rehearsals are held on Saturdays, from mid-October through March, 10:30 A.M.-12:30 P.M., at Chartiers Valley Intermediate School, 2030 Swallow Hill Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15220.
Tuition is $495.
Musicians are accepted through an audition process, by appointment only. All Prelude Ensemble applicants must register online and schedule an audition appointment.