PYPO Auditions – Philharmonic
UPCOMING AUDITION DATES
Other Audition Dates to fill open slots ONLY:
Saturday, January 19, 2019 (Half Season)**
Audition Fee: $25 (plus a $1.75 registration fee)
* Students who audition in September or January and are accepted into the Philharmonic Orchestra are not eligible for seating auditions and will be placed in the back of their sections. **Students who audition in January and are accepted into one of the Prelude Ensembles are not eligible for seating auditions and will be placed in the back of their sections.
PHILHARMONIC AUDITION REQUIREMENTS:
Please provide extra copy of solo(s) for adjudicator.
Sight reading is required in addition to the following scale & solo requirements.
SCALE & SOLO REQUIREMENTS:
Violin: 3 octave Major scales (memorized) up to 3 sharps / 3 flats. PMEA required solo for 2018-19 and a second solo of choice.
Viola & Cello: 2 or 3 octave Major scales (memorized) up to 3 sharps / 3 flats. PMEA required solo for 2018-19, and a second solo of choice.
String Bass: 1 octave C, G, D, & F Major scales (memorized). L’Éléphant from Carnival of the Animals (Saint Saëns), and a second solo of choice.
Woodwinds: 2 octave Major scales up to 5 sharps / 5 flats, 3 octave chromatic scale and PMEA required solo for 2018-19. All scales must be memorized.
Flutes: Must also audition on Piccolo. 3 octave chromatic scale starting on B-flat, and Solo: Sonata in F for Flute and Piano (first mvmt. – Allegro), Telemann.
Percussion: Scales up to 3 Sharps / 3 Flats C, F, G, B-flat, D, E-flat, A (memorized), Snare solo or Étude of choice, Timpani exercise or solo, plus Bell or Xylophone solo.
Note: The audition requirements listed are the minimum required for entrance and being able to meet these requirements will not guarantee an applicant’s acceptance.
Click here to Audition for STRINGS
Click here to Audition for WOODWINDS, BRASS
Our music staff will select applicants who can play at the level of students currently in each ensemble. The different levels of the ensembles are intended to help each student grow at his or her own pace as a player and musician. Students will be reviewed by the adjudication panel and Music Director for the ensemble they feel will best challenge each student.
HOW TO REGISTER FOR AN AUDITION
**Please note – Summer, Fall and Mid-season Auditions are to fill open seats ONLY.
1. Applicant must register online and reserve an audition appointment.
2. Auditions will last approximately ten minutes (Philharmonic flute and ALL percussion auditions are 20 minutes in length). Twenty-minute audition appointments are placed throughout the schedule. If a twenty-minute appointment is not available on your preferred date, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. For registration of multiple students, please click specific link below.
4. If you are unable to keep your audition appointment, email email@example.com at least one week prior to your audition.
5. Please arrive at least 10 minutes prior to your audition appointment.
6. Auditions are held at Chartiers Valley Intermediate School, 2030 Swallow Hill Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15220.
7. There are no piano-only auditions for PYPO Philharmonic or Prelude Orchestra. Interested musicians must audition and be accepted on another instrument.
Click on the links below to schedule an audition:
PYPO Prelude & Philharmonic STRINGS
(Intermediate & Advanced Level Strings)
Prelude & Philharmonic WOODWINDS, BRASS & PERCUSSION
(Intermediate & Advanced level Band Instruments)
(PHILHARMONIC FLUTES ONLY and ALL PERCUSSION please select 20-minute appointment)